XARK 3.0

  • Xark began as a group blog in June 2005 but continues today as founder Dan Conover's primary blog-home. Posts by longtime Xark authors Janet Edens and John Sloop may also appear alongside Dan's here from time to time, depending on whatever.

Xark media


  • ALIENS! SEX! MORE ALIENS! AND DUBYA, TOO! Handcrafted, xarky science fiction, lovingly typeset for your home printer!

  • XARK TV

  • XARKAGANDA

  • XARKTOONS
Blog powered by Typepad
Member since 06/2005

Statcounter has my back

« Exodus from Camp K-Mart | Main | Dan's Thursday links, etc. »

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c5d3453ef00d834231bd853ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Why a pandemic will kill newspapers:

» Bird Flu update from Notes - A Personal Journal
If millions of people die from the Bird Flu, they can not say they were not told about it. In the past few weeks we have seen and heard much from various governments including the United States and various media about the seriousness of... [Read More]

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Janet Edens

As a flu follower, I've been downright shocked at the inability of reporters to get the facts straight. Knowing as much about it as I do, it's easy to see how wrong they get things, how often they allow themselves to be spun or don't ask the right questions. So what about the things I don't know about? How can I trust anything they say? It's so easy to get a little information and background. You know, facts. Stuff that might have helped the CNN anchor persons stop talking about the quake in Southeast Asia. Must have been a helluva quake to move Pakistan over like that.

benbrazil

Dan, can you post a link to your preparedness article?

Daniel

Nope. I can't post a link because the story is behind an archive pay wall.

To summarize what I got from public health experts: 1. Don't be around sick people; 2. Practice basic hygiene; 3. WEAR A MASK, like you'd wear while sanding furniture; 4. Get a "normal" flu shot (even though it isn't for H5N1... it MIGHT help boost your immunity); 5. If you've got money to burn and a friendly doctor, lay in a supply of Tamiflu for yourself and your family; 6. Wash your hands... A LOT.

There's other stuff, particularly for business people. Every business needs a pandemic plan. And if you're into local politics, push your local leaders to put together a plan for pandemic response that includes the proper assumptions about what resources will be available.

H5N1 could infect 30 percent of the population. For the other 70 percent, a pandemic is a logistical, economic and political problem, not a disease problem. Plan accordingly.

The comments to this entry are closed.