2. I have the right to say "I disagree" "no," "stop" and "good-bye."
3. I have to accept that everyone has the right to say "I disagree" "no," "stop" and "good-bye."
4. If your life sucks, you're living it wrong and you can fix it. Only you. No one can make you happy.
Corollary: Some people are determined to be unhappy. It's the only way they feel alive. Run from them, even if you are in high heels and a mini-skirt, run.
5. Everything looks cute in a size 4.
6. The Law of Attraction is immutable and reliable.
7. Cats always scratch the most expensive and/or most favoritest piece of furniture.
8. No one can teach a student unwilling to learn.
Corollary: Stay the hell away from people who are unwilling to learn.
9. I am not responsible for other people's poor choices.
Corollary: I will help others to the extent that they ask for my help, that I am capable of helping them where they are and they do not intend to drag me into the pit with them.
10. People who argue proxy issues and don't know what that means should be avoided like ebola.
11. Craft beers and good whiskey are proof (sorry!) that the universe is benevolent.
12. Angels are not always subtle. Sometimes if you are on the wrong path, you get a face full of dirt.
Corollary: When work (for a paycheck, in a relationship, for a goal) becomes onerous, it's time to move on.
13. Fashion is when you wear what other people tell you to wear, style is when you wear what you love.
Corollary: Women under 40 should never, ever presume to tell women over 40 what to wear. We will kick your neophyte butt. In a nice, new-age, feel-good sort of way, of course. In fact, women should just lay off criticizing other women all together. We are all of us jewels.
14. I have always wandered off the path. Sometimes the view is spectacular. Sometimes I fall down.
15. Family and friends are the best the universe has to offer. Although $60 million would not suck.
I've done a lot of jobs in my 27-year newspaper career, and one thing I truly loved the challenge and creativty of graphic design. I haven't done daily page design in years, unless you count my exile on the night desk in 2008, but I wanted to share some of my favorites from the good old days. Most of these pages are from 2002-2004. I hope you get a kick out of them!